Why Good Oral Health Leads to Quality Sleep
A good night’s sleep is one of the best ways to help you wake up and tackle your next day. It’s not often we realize that oral health is associated with your sleep quality. If you’re noticing your sleep has been a little off your oral hygiene could play a major role. Check in and make an appointment with your local dentist to determine a resolution and restore your chances for a good night’s sleep!
- Childhood Teeth Grinding: Children who are heard grinding their teeth in their sleep or complain of teeth grinding is cause for concern. Typically this can be an indication that there are breathing complications or there is a compromised airway. This can lead to long term issues and even sleep apnea as an adult.
- Dry Mouth: If you are waking up in the middle of the night or the morning with a dry mouth you are depriving your saliva to do its job. Saliva serves as a first line of defense in breaking down harmful bacteria and prevents tooth decay.
- Difficulty Breathing: Repetitive bouts of breathing complications is certainly a main symptom of sleep apnea.
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint syndrome): Pain in your jaw joint and the muscles that control jaw movement.
- Bruxism: Teeth grinding as adults is often missed by us but presented by a dentist. Teeth grinding is caused primarily by stress and can cause severe damage to the teeth and allow for cavities to form and teeth to wear down.
Are you experiencing one or more of these issues? If so, it’s time to talk to the MaDental & Associates team in Miami. The dentists can hear your concerns and do a thorough examination to determine what the nature of the issues are. After the exam they can discuss treatment options like mouthguards, brush routine info, and so much more to benefit your oral hygiene. Don’t forget to schedule appointments with your dentist regularly to ensure optimal oral health and a good night’s sleep!
Talk to your dentist today about the impacts of tobacco on your oral health and which healthy habits can best help you kick your addiction to the curb!